Journey through Asia’s contemporary art capitals with Peninsula Hotels and Remote Lands
February 19 – March 5, 2017
Embark on a two-week journey of art and culture on this extraordinary trip across Asia’s most influential contemporary art cities while staying in 5 luxurious Peninsula hotels. Spend 14 days visiting important galleries and private collections, studios of top artists and stunning art spaces in Bangkok, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo and Hong Kong. Engage in stimulating discussions, lectures and panels on Asian contemporary art with the leading minds of each city’s art scene. Just sixteen guests will have the opportunity to participate in this exclusive journey that is now being offered for the first time by Peninsula Hotels and Remote Lands. Each couple will have their own private car, driver and guide each day, and have complete flexibility to join the special art events as well as enjoy touring on their own.
Highlights of this Asian art adventure include:
- Visit the stunning Yenaka Art Village in Bangkok for a private lunch with some of Bangkok’s leading gallery owners
- Tour Souled Out Studio, founded by renowned English artist and long-time Bangkok resident,Beejoir, recognised as one of the world’s 100 leading figures in street art.
This unique journey begins in Bangkok where you will stay at the iconic Peninsula Hotel, ideally located on the vibrant Chao Phraya River. All rooms have river views, and you can watch the river life go by as you dine at the River Cafe & Terrace. The hotel features 8 restaurants including Thiptara with authentic Thai cuisine, and Mei Jiang, one of the most acclaimed Cantonese restaurants in the city.
Enjoy cocktails with high-profile local artists and experts Christian Bowen, Chusak Srikwan, and Prasert Yodkaew and a discussion on the role art plays in society today. Join an illustrious group of artists and art experts for lunch at Yenaka Art Village, including Sutima Sucharitakul, Ver Jirat Ratthawongjirakul, Op Sudasna, H Ernest, and Liliana Gao. Enjoy privileged private visits to the artists’ studios of Beejoir, Chusak Sriwkan, and Prasert Yodkaew. Explore the exciting city of Bangkok on your own as you wish, cruising on your private boat through traditional villages and visiting must-see sites such as the Grand Palace and Wat Arun.
For your final day in Bangkok, start off with some cultural immersion choosing either a Muay Thai lesson or a local Thai cooking class, followed by private visits to Jim Thompson House, Suan Pakkad Museum or a spot of shopping if you prefer.
- An intimate encounter with abstract artist Qiu Deshu in his personal studio. Qiu’s works feature in collections across Asia, Europe and the USA.
- Visit the studio of Su Xiaobai, one of China’s most distinctive and sought after painters, known for his incredible use of lacquer.
- A once in a lifetime opportunity to see the private collection of Pearl Lam at her apartment. Lam’s sensational home has been featured in the New York Times and we are very privileged to be invited to visit.
After VIP arrival in Shanghai, enjoy cocktails and dinner at the Peninsula Shanghai, located on the magnificent Bund overlooking the gorgeous Art Deco buildings lining the waterfront of Old Shanghai, as well as the space-age skyscrapers of New Shanghai on the Pudong side of the Huang Pu River. The hotel has 5 restaurant including the famous Sir Elly’s Restaurant, serving Shanghai’s finest French Cuisine.
In the morning, you can choose to explore Shanghai on an insightful Jewish history tour or visit the private art studios of Su Xiaobai and Qiu Deshu. Lunch with an array of artists and experts,Janfer Chang, Leo Xu, Mathieu Borysevicz and Lorenz Helbling, after which you will visit Pearl Lam’s spectacular home to see her private collection. Or, if you prefer you can finish the day exploring Shanghai’s famous Bund.
Visit the art village M50 and explore leading galleries in the area including ShangART, Shanghai HuaFu Art Space, OV Gallery, Island 6, Leung Gallery and Hapojae, meeting the gallery directors and seeing art that is not currently exhibited to the public.
- A morning with former exile, Zhang Dali, whose work includes graffiti, sculpture, photography and painting, and is recognized as one of China’s first graffiti and street artists.
- Lunch with the founding family of the Guardian Auction House followed by an exclusive private tour featuring works not yet publicly taken to auction.
- A rare private visit to the Faurschou collection, including works in storage that are not publicly displayed, led by the collection’s curator, Maria Grzywacz.
Begin your visit to Beijing with welcome cocktails and another illustrious gathering of leading lights in the local art scene including Vincent De Sarthe, Jeremie Thircuir, Meg Maggio, Jiang Pengyi and Mathieu Borysevicz, before sitting down to dinner.
Explore Beijing’s most famous locales including the Forbidden City and Tianenmen Square, after which you will visit the private studios of Zhang Dali and Chen Wei.
Start your last day in Beijing wandering the hutongs or shopping. After, lunch at The Guardian Auction House with the founders of this prestigious house of art before a privileged private tour of the entire facility including the back rooms, filled with art not yet shown to the public. Next, visit 798, Beijing’s most famous art district where you will see the Faurschou collection, the Ullens Center for Contemporary Art, Pace Gallery, the Beijing Commune and XYZ.
You will be staying at the Peninsula Beijing, which has just undergone a transformative renovation and now offers the largest hotel rooms in Beijing. It is very conveniently located near to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.
- Marvel at the ultra-technologists from Teamlab, a collaborative practice that navigates the confluence of technology, design, and the natural world.
- See the acclaimed Mori Art Museum while being guided by its director, Fumio Nangjo.
- Explore the private collection of Takeo Obayashi who assembles living artists simply so that he can “talk and have a drink with them.” This famous space was designed by the illustrious architect, Tadao Ando, famous for his work in Japan, The United States China, Korea and Italy.
- Meet Izumi Kato, a Tokyo-based artist who laid down his brush and began to paint with his hands. His work has been exhibited all over the world.
Arrive at the Peninsula Tokyo, which is situated opposite the Imperial Palace and moments away from the shopping capital of Ginza. Enjoy a discussion over cocktails with artists, experts, and gallery founders and directors, Natane Takeda, Elisa Uematsu, Koichiro Osaka, Fushiya Kayo and Tomio Koyama on technology in the age of contemporary art.
Explore Tokyo’s most famous sites including Tsujiki Fish Market, Imperial Palace East Gardens and Ginza followed by lunch, and then a specially arranged art tour to Teamlab and the Mori Museum.
Make an early morning pilgrimage to a sumo stable and watch the wrestlers practice and learn about this fascinating ritualized Japanese sport. Visit important private collections and artists’ studios including the Takeo Obayashi, Wonder Wall, Shunseke Francoise Nanjo and Izumi Kato. You may also enjoy a traditional Japanese tea ceremony.
- Visit the private studio of Hong Kong-based Portuguese artist, João Vasco Paiva, winner of the Hong Kong emerging artist award.
- Experience an exclusive visit to the private collection of award-winning architect and artist, William Lin.
Arrive at the Peninsula Hong Kong for a welcome cocktail party with local art experts Amanda Hon, Nick Wood, Li Yan, Jonny Davies and Claudia Albertini.
Visit the gallery of local art aficionado, Adrian Wong. Enjoy a special lunch at Duddell’s, a favourite restaurant among the artist set, with local art curators and directors Claire Hsu, Alex Sereno, Cosmin Costas, Frances Wu Giarratano, Tiffany Pinkstone and Rebecca Woo. After lunch, choose between private visits to the studios of Tsang Kin Wah and João Vasco, or further touring of iconic Hong Kong sights including The Peak, Hollywood Road, and Soho.
Visit William Lim, award-winning architect and artist, and enjoy a private tour of his renowned collection of contemporary art, followed by a lunch at Bibo, an eclectic restaurant where dining and art are combined, and discuss the new frontiers of art in Asia with art experts Damian Chandler, Alex Errera, Jasmine Li, Mandy d’Aboo, and prominent local artist, Kitty Chou. After lunch, enjoy a final look around Hong Kong with your private guide before retiring for the evening at your leisure before your flight home in the morning.
USD$26,888 per person
- VIP transfers
- English-speaking guide
- activities and entrance fees
- breakfasts and some casual lunches while touring
For more information, phone your Travelcall Consultant on (03) 9867 1800 or email us